Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Does Zibbet do well in Google Searchs? A review and another few tests.

First off, please remember that Google remembers us and shows us what it thinks we want to see.  This means that searching for our own items is likely to result in artificial results for how our items are showing to our buyers.  For this reason, to run these tests, I use things that I don't sell.  I'd love to hear if your tests on someone else's items are similar or different from mine.

Fact.  As of today there are 839  listings for "lampwork earrings" on Zibbet.  I pick this because I'm a fan and often search for new ones to buy.  So I googled that term.  It's how I, as a buyer, shop for new earrings. It's not how Zibbet owner, Jonathan Peacock says buyers shop, but, hey.

So I searched for "lampwork earrings" and here's what I see. 
First I see...

that every page in Google search results shows photos of 4 different lampwork earrings from Etsy or another site, the PHOTOS of them are in the Google Shopping.  Zibbet does not provide this advertising to its customers like Etsy does.  (Although it advertised that it did when it wasn't (have screen shots, J and A)).   So in this search, on every page, I was shown different, gorgeous photos of lampwork earrings, 60 of them.  And if you click on one, you go right to that item to buy.

As a buyer, I probably wouldn't even bother scrolling down the regular search results, I've already clicked on a cute set of earrings I SAW and am shopping at their Etsy shop.  But say I did scroll down to "regular google".   In 15 pages, or 148 results, only ONE listing for a Zibbet item shows.  On page 4.  839 Zibbet listings, only one result in Google for as far as any buyer is likely to search.  Ahead of that lone Zibbet listing are etsy, ebay, alibaba, amazon, artfire, THE FIND.COM, etc.  and dozens and dozens of stand alone websites and blogs, flickr photos, etc.

 Get to the bottom off page 15, and Google gives this message:

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 148 already displayed.
If you like, you can
repeat the search with the omitted results included.

 
Wha????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

 

Think your potential customer hasn't already clicked on someone else's by now?  That they are going to REPEAT the search?

Next, I took one of the "most relevant" of those earrings in the ZIBBET search and pasted the exact title into Google search.  "Lampwork Pink Rose Earrings".  The "long tail tag" search that Zibbet owner Jonathan Peacock claims will do the trick and get items from Zibbet found.  Also because they are darned cute!

There are 16 "lampwork pink rose earrings" items at Zibbet search results.  At google, however  10 pages later, those earrings never appeared.  NEVER.  Cut and pasted the exact title and it's invisible for 10 pages of google results!

Again, only ONE Zibbet item showed, on Page 5 (from one of my favorite sellers, yay!).  Curiously, the ONE Zibbet item that showed in Google doesn't show in Zibbet's Own SEARCH using the identical search terms! (they are stunning earrings, by the way!).

 By the time I got to the bottom of Page 10, some pretty non-relevant things were showing, things like photographs that included the words "pink" and "rose".  And again, I've been shown gorgeous lampwork pink rose earrings photos from Etsy.  44 of them.  Think I haven't already clicked on one and gone to Etsy to shop? 

 

SO WHY AREN'T ZIBBET ITEMS SHOWING ON GOOGLE???  WHAT is going on here???? 

But wait! Here's a work around solution provided in the Zibbet forums!  Apparently, NING, the independent site that hosts the Zibbet forums, is in better favor with google.  Because, if you post your items on the Ning-hosted Zibbet forums, they can be found by google!  Or you can post them on Pinterest or Flickr.  Where somehow, the search terms Jonathan Peacock thinks can't be found for our Zibbet items, CAN be found. 

I will say it again and have several times. 
Putting photos on the bottom of the Community board here on main page with a link and having people comment Google picks it up immediately. 
Extremely important tool like a Billboard IMHO. 
Sandy 

So why aren't our Zibbet showing on Google within a reasonable amount of pages?  Why do we have to use an independent site like Ning or Pinterest to capture Google's interest and then redirect to your Zibbet items?  Why isn't Zibbet capturing Google's interest?  (I am not saying the Zibbet items aren't picked up EVER on google, but the back of the pack is the opposite place we need to be!) And all the competitors, standalones and blogs seem to be able to?  People with zero IT, engineering skill or internet interfacing skill or even the ability to build their own sites, are getting found BEFORE ZIBBET.  Why? 

Ask the owners.  And demand a REAL answer.  Them telling you that YOU need to work on YOUR SEO is not it.  Ask them what, exactly, is the issue and what, exactly, Zibbet is doing about these dismal results? 
I'd ask them myself but I was muted from their forums for asking questions like that, apparently.
But, look.  Don't take my word for it.  Run these tests yourself (unless you sell lampwork or earrings, because your results will be substantially different).  Or pick other things BUYERS search for.
I'll publish your results.
Whether they agree with mine or not.
You have my word.  Because I'd just like to get to the bottom of this.  And again, I want my money back.

10 comments:

  1. I tried 'pink baby dress'. Z search showed 105 in handmade. Google had no images from Z, no 'Google shopping' listings, and no listings at all in just search and I checked 15 pages.
    I'm glad I don't make pink baby dresses at Z.
    Mary-Forevemonstrous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To add, tried an exact title and it didn't show up. One did show up for Etsy, with the same name.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting, I did as you suggested and did a search for one of my items. Now mind you I have 34 items listed in my store with the first two words being Mammoth Ivory. These items are tweeted every 15 minutes randomly and I could not find a single one on Bing. I did find a listing for my Zibbet store and several for my FaceBook page with the same name. But after scrolling threw 45 pages, no listings at all.
    Ok so now what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually took this a step further and spent 3 hours searching Bing, Google, Dog Pile and Yahoo and found NONE of my listings. What the hell am I paying for?

      Delete
    2. Sadly, in the past weeks I've found many things we are paying for and not getting from Zibbet. Since there is little internal traffic, it explains the very poor sales there. A sort of shops by "least active" shows shops that have been there for years without selling a thing

      Delete
  4. Hi Lee! Welcome to my blog. What next? Well, If it were me and I had a premium shop, I'd cancel it immediately on Paypal to make sure I didn't spend another dime on a selling site that has such poor results. I am not sure if what you sell is allowed at Etsy or Ebay, but if it is, I'd list there. And I'd do a stand alone, you have a much better chance, it seems, for your target market to find you than you do listing at Zibbet. At least unless something changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, but right now my hands are tied because Zibbet is the only site that will allow Fossil Mammoth Ivory other that ArtFire, at a higher cost and unknown results. So I am stuck right now.

      Delete
  5. Mmmm. Been at artfire, strange place. But I am seeing af results over Zibbet ones. Maybe a standalone is your best bet?

    ReplyDelete